What you can do!
- Pick up dog waste (use hashtag)
- Pick up litter (use hashtag)
http://www.litterproject.com/ http://www.philadelphiastreets.com/events/cleanup-events/ http://unitedbyblue.com/collections/cleanups
- Take your car to a car wash (use hashtag) https://cfpub.epa.gov/npstbx/files/KSMO_CarWashing.pdf
- Volunteer to help with PDE's citizen science mussel surveys
- Never use freshwater mussels as bait for fish! It’s wrong and sometimes illegal!
- Minimize or eliminate the use of chemicals, pesticides, and fertilizers in and around your home and control runoff!
- Volunteer and support stream-side restoration to plant trees, shrubs, and other plants to stabilize banks, prevent erosion, and provide cooling shade for freshwater mussels during hot summer months!
- Support projects that restore in-stream habitats for fish and promote fish passage, such as dam removal!
- Only rain should go down the storm drain! Dumping oil, trash and anything other than water in a storm drain will pollute waterways!
- Be careful walking in streams, you never know who you are stepping on! Respect wildlife!
- Take a photo of you learning about mussels and use it in your social media and hashtag #MightyMussel to raise awareness
- Level up to Field Scientist by contacting PDE to attend a mussel workshop
- Level up to Top Researcher by conducting your own mussel survey (don’t worry, we’ll tell you how!)
Online: What can you find out about the ways to act above? Can you make a poster to help make others aware how to help?